Get Help Now

Contact a Lawyer in
North or South Carolina.


Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?

Do you know who’s legally responsible for your loved one’s estate? By North Carolina law, you must appoint one person to delegate the estate of the decedent. This person is known as a “personal representative,” and he or she is the only person who will make legal decisions regarding your loved one’s estate.

There are a number of potential parties who may take the role of a personal representative in a wrongful death claim, including your loved one’s:

  • survivors (including spouse, children, and parents),
  • heirs,
  • legatees (a person bequeathed a portion of the estate),
  • and others.

When a loved one passes away, we know it can be difficult to determine who is responsible for taking legal action on your loved one’s behalf. The wrongful death lawyers at Crumley Roberts can help you find the resources you need to successfully appoint a personal representative to your loved one’s estate.

What Is the Personal Representative’s Role?

After your loved one dies, the personal representative will preside over your loved one’s affairs. The personal representative will either take the role of an “administrator” or “executor/executrix,” depending if your loved one died with or without a will.

  • An administrator is appointed if your loved one died without a will.
  • An executor/executrix is appointed if your loved one died with a will, naming a personal representative.

If you have questions about appointing a personal representative for your loved one’s estate, we want to help you find answers. Contact the wrongful death attorneys at our firm today—dial  or complete a free initial consultation form.

Free Initial Consultation