After a Truck Accident
Insight from Our North Carolina Truck Accident Lawyers
You’ve been involved in a truck accident. What should you do next? The steps you take now may have a direct impact on your ability to recover compensation for your injuries. They may also affect your health and well-being. Crumley Roberts is here to offer guidance in your time of need.
After an accident, we strongly recommend that you seek medical attention and call an attorney – in that order. However, if you’re looking for insight into the best steps to take after a truck accident, we’ve provided the following tips:
- Remain at the scene. You are required to remain at the scene of a traffic accident that has caused injury or property damage to exchange information with the other party or parties involved, unless you are in need of emergency medical care.
- Call 911. If the accident is blocking traffic or someone has been seriously injured, call 911 to alert the authorities and seek help.
- Seek medical attention. Go to the emergency room or see a doctor immediately after the accident, even if you feel you were not seriously injured. Some physical trauma, like whiplash or head injuries, may not be immediately apparent but will require treatment to lessen the chances of permanent damage. Seek medical care and inform the doctor that you were involved in a truck accident so he or she knows what type of injuries to look for.
- Collect information and keep records. If possible, take pictures at the scene. Take pictures of your vehicle, the truck, your injuries, and your clothing. Get the contact information of any witnesses, the truck driver, the trucking company, and emergency personnel. Keep detailed records of any medical treatment you receive.
- Do not admit fault. Do not apologize to the truck driver or to anyone else at the scene. Do not say or do anything that may be misconstrued as an admission of fault, as this could affect your ability to recover compensation in the future.
- Call a lawyer. If you were seriously injured, it is important to involve a lawyer who is experienced with truck accident claims. He or she can stand up for your rights and handle your claim so you can focus on healing.
It is important to remember that every accident is different, and as such, the steps you should take may vary depending on your unique situation. If you would like to discuss your concerns with a friendly professional, Crumley Roberts is here for you. We promise to care like family, listen to learn, and do what’s right. Our attorneys are here for you during this difficult time.
Involved in a truck accident? We welcome you to call our offices at (866) 691-0607 for a free consultation.